View Single Post
Old 02-07-2017, 12:59 AM   #20
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Goin 4 Broke

Welcome and I have to ask for more details! We are actually considering the opposite approach - going from a Montana to a diesel pusher. Can you provide more details besides time to hook up? I kind of think that my TV and trailer are costing me more than a class A and just towing my wife's jeep...
Jeff, don't want to hijack his thread, but since we made the switch last year from a 2014 Montana to a 2014 38' Class A, I may be able to add some thoughts for you.

What we discovered was that between a 2014 Montana 3725RL and a 2012 F350 diesel we had between $80,000 and $90,000 in value. When shopping for a used Class A we had our choice between a one or two year old gasser, or five or 6 year old DP, if we wanted to stay in that $90,000 range. Since we are not full time I elected for the 2014 gasser with just over 3,000 miles. So far an excellent choice.

There are numerous features on the plus side I won't go into. Besides the ease of setting up and leveling faster, there is well over 200 square feet of basement storage under our model. Each compartment has it's own side swinging door with lights inside. Some of the basement storage goes through to each side. If needed I can haul my Kayak in the basement!

While traveling full time we still would not have done anything different. We felt that having a large 5th wheel and a strong diesel PU was the best option for reliability, safety, and maximum livability for the dollars. However, now only using an RV for 2 to 4 months out of the year a larger Class A fit our needs better. When we travel we have our Harley Trike for local transportation instead of a 1-ton truck, just like you would have a Jeep if that was your toad.