View Single Post
Old 08-13-2015, 05:19 AM   #17
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by twindman

Pretty ingenious. Did you put a cap on the first one so the edges didn't dig in to the duct? Or is that necessary?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ranch560

This older thread got me to thinking about my rear ducts also. Today and tomorrow will be 100 degree + days and I can tell my rear ac hasn't been working well. Did the duct check and my ducts have collapsed also. Went to the hardware store, bought a piece of 1 & 1/4 pvc pipe and 8 couplings. Similar to Jim (jlb27537) I cut the pipe into 10 pieces 6" long. I stuffed a piece into the duct, added a coupling, stuffed another piece, add coupling, etc putting 30'' and 4 couplings into each duct. I could tell immediately the difference in airflow. Simple $8.00 fix.
I didn't put a cap or anything on the front of the first piece of 6" pipe as it felt like it wasn't digging in or damaging the duct as I pushed it in. I wanted the pipe open so it wouldn't impede any airflow also. It's nearly impossible to know how wide the duct opened up at the end of my 30" pipe, but it sure changed the volume of airflow on the cold air registers.

And Scott, I checked my round registers earlier and they were cut down correctly to maximize air flow.

Today is another 100 degree day and the real test will be switching to one ac unit. We only have 30 amp service, so I've been using a Y adapter plugging into my neighbors 30 amp. I'm supposed to get a neighbor today. For all of you that don't know what a Y adapter is, it uses to 30 amp services and gives you 50 amp service even though it's not 220 amps. Similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Electr...trical+adapter
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote