View Single Post
Old 01-16-2005, 12:39 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also use the easylube and have never repacked them myself although I used to on cars and trucks. I've discovered my dealer is correct, no more than two squirts of grease per year is all you need. And that is even during our fulltiming. Last summer I had the dealer check our brakes and he told me I was over greasing it. I had done maybe four squirts in a year. In case you're wondering how long the brake linings last, about half the brake linings were still there after about 15k to 20k miles. I had the brake controller set too agressively and had severely worn the magnets and had caused heat stress cracks in the linings. So he replaced all four brake shoes, magnets, and turned the drums. He also repacked the inner and outer bearings as part of the procedure. Total cost was about $300.

That said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with repacking the wheel bearings peridocally, in my opinion. It's good insurance. But based on what we've found I think I'll just have the brakes checked every other year and make sure they repack the wheel bearings as part of the procedure. In the off-years I'll shoot a couple of squirts of grease in the easylube zerks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote