Thread: Home again
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #8
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
No I got the 3.73's but I do have over size tires on it so that will knock it down some. If I keep it in 5th the sweet spot is still around 65 mph. If I run it in 6th then the sweet spot seems to want to be up around 75 mph, just a lil too fast even for me towing. Now empty I run 75 or even 80 mph....yes we have those speed limits here in Texas lol lol. Just running it in 6th and at 65-70 towing it wants to bog down some on the grades before it shifts. I figure the tires have something to do with that too. So my Dodge mechanic told me run it in 5th and keep the rpm's up. I did alternate back and forth from 5th to 6th and did not see much of a fuel mileage change. The one thing that did change it in a hurry was it got windy one day, we dropped into the 8's lol lol...I also automatically push tow-haul and exhaust brake as soon as the truck is started even to the grocery store. My Dodge mech said to do it all the time so the rpm's stay up around 1.8k to 2.0k....says when the rpm's drop below 1.5k then you are clogging up your filters, turbo, Cat and the truck will be sluggish. Told me to even use the shifter when in town to hold it in 3rd or 4th in traffic. Makes sense to me since I do know that when these trucks lug they will clog stuff up, at least the Dodges. Mine was already clogged when I got it and they had to replace the NOS Catalytic converter. I think a lot of other stuff was clogged to but this long haul towing the trailer really blew things out and she runs a whole lot better then before. They told me the worst thing you can do to a Dodge is drive it around town all the time. Just wish it got the same mpg my 07 6.7 did. With it I averaged 11 mpg but it was only 2wd. I guess if you want the bigger toys you got to pay..lol lol.....Can't get the wife to OK a Volvo so this one is gonna have to do...lol lol lol

OH and I remembered my dot for the Rpm's lol lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote