View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We all post the good and bad experiences we’ve encountered while out and about with our Montanas in hopes that others learn from us. In regards to tires, here is one of ours...

We have a 2002 Montana that we bought in July of 2001. Tires were original until May of 2011 when we had a blowout going to the Lake Siskiyou MOC Rally and then ANOTHER blowout coming home from the same rally. We suffered some damage to the Montana from each blowout.

Those tires were 10 years old and should have been replaced 5 years before the two tire failures, we both should have known better than to let the tires go that long. The Montana had a complete set of new tires installed as soon as we made it home from the rally. You can bet we’ll be replacing those tires within the next year or two. We learned our lesson.

As for truck tires, I’m thinking you are playing Russian roulette with the age of those. Distance traveled definitely makes a difference on tires, but so does the age of the tire and it doesn’t matter if they have low mileage. Age is age. We are thankful that our tire blow-outs were on the Montana and not on the truck as we think it might have made a bad situation harder to control and get to the side of the road safely.

You have 8-year old tires. I would definitely be concerned, and there will be more mileage and age on them before next winter and that long trip you are planning.

If you don’t want to replace them now and if you aren’t taking any trips with the Montana between now and then, I’d replace them about a month before the trip. But that’s just my opinion.

Remember that old Michelin slogan, “Because so much is riding on your tires”. It’s true.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote