View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
What year is your Dodge? I have an '06 Ford and at last check it had slightly better ratings than the same model year Dodge, GMC or Chevy 3/4 ton. My '06 trailer's pin weight put me over my ratings. I went through a lot of $$$ to increase the ratings to the 1 ton and became compliant for my personal use.

These new Montanas are about 1,000# heavier and therefore you can figure that if they don't surpass the pin weight, they'll surpass the Combined GVWR, rear axle or GVWR.

My Ford has a 23,000 CGVWR (1 ton ratings), but if I tow a 15,000# GVWR trailer (most new Montys are over that), it leaves only 8,000# for the truck and cargo. Empty, my truck weighs 8,100# (just me and a full tank of diesel) so I'm already over. Then with DW wife, hitch, all the stuff I carry to support the RV and now I'm way over.

Even converting my truck to a 1 ton, I couldn't tow most of the new Montys.

Unlike what the sales folks say, you must base your ownership on the Maximum ratings since that's YOUR responsibility. The sales folks will sell you based on the shipping weight. That's what burned me, I trusted a sales person. Never again.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote