View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I drove a '01 Dodge DRW with an aftermarket exhaust brake on it for 11 years, and "never" drove with the brake on unless I wanted the additional assist of the exhaust brake in decelerating. Mine was a standard shift so the brake was either on or off, selectable by a switch on the gearshift.

I now have a 2012 automatic with 3.73 rear end, and don't see the reasoning behind driving with the exhaust brake on all the time, every time you let off on the accelerator the exhaust brake comes on, why loose that hard gained momentum unless you want to slow quickly, or when going down hills.

Steelpony5555 wrote:
Quote:
quote:
Dodge mechcanics will tell you to always put on your exhaust brake even when not towing. Something bout the turbo and keeping the soot from building up in it.
Not sure I would want those Dodge mechanics working on my rig, I fail to see what the turbo has to do with the exhaust brake, the turbo supplies increased air to the engine for combustion through the turbo boost. The exhaust brake on the other hand is restricting the flow of exhaust gases just beyond the manifold creating back pressure on the cylinders, don’t see how one relates to the other.

One of my best friends is a Dodge mechanic and has been for many years, he does not recommend driving with it on, even though it supposedly won’t hurt anything and you can do that, he sees no advantage unless you are wanting the additional brake assist.

I Would like to hear from those that drive with the brake on as to what their reason for doing it that way is.

The fuel mileage on the new Dodge is crappy compared to what I got on the '01. Guess I have not found the "sweet" spot yet, but I can tell you I won't be pulling my Monty at 70 plus mph down the interstate.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote