Thread: No POWER!
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It's no question, in general, the power companies frown on the practice, they want everyone to be safe and legal, and who can find fault with that.
But there are situations that require some 'out of the box' thinking. Different managers of the companies look at their rules differently, some strict, some not so much. I know when I was a slumlord, I dealt with some pretty low forms of carbon-based units. I worked with the power companies in my area, it is amazing what people come up with trying to steal electricity. We had a guy that just went around and investigated such cases, he would drop by my office and we would have coffee and he would tell me the crud people do. I would rat-out the ones I came across. I would pull meters all the time and make the wiring safe in the homes and buildings I bought and renovated, never had a problem. The city inspectors worked with the Power and Light company, sometimes the P&L guys would contact the city when meters were pulled so the city inspector could come in and check to see if there was a permit pulled for any work done. I never had a problem with that, just didn't get caught. They put on special meter enclosures here, when it has been tampered with, you can't pull the meter.. it's on there good!
I never pulled a permit..our inspectors were all crooked where I had my properties. Kansas City, you know...
If you are working on your residence, you can do the work yourself, if you are working on an investment property, you have to be licensed. I did all the wiring on my Casa here when I built it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote