View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Owners should do the following, but don't:

1. Chock their wheels.
2. Check their tire inflation and wheel torque regularly.
3. Drive under the stated speed rating on the tire's sidewall.
4. Drive at the stated speed limits in each state for towed vehicles (California is 55mph, period)
5. Do a pull test after hitching.
6. Maintain weights under each rating for their TV, and RV.
7. Check their suspension, U-bolts, etc. for wear and tear and torque.
8. And many, many more.

For those that do not do these things we can only hope the owner understands the risks and ramifications - I've been known to ignore some of these at some consequence but mostly I don't. The chances are very high the user manual recommends chocking and (bad) experience tells me to do so! The landing gear is only designed to support the weight over the top of them, they are not designed for lateral support like what happens if the trailer starts to roll back or forth which is what chocks are designed for, i.e. they are NOT chocks.

Next time you might point out that while they are not chocked using what she might know as conventional chocks like a Level Up or Bigfoot system or the rig is hitched to the truck, there might be something else. If there's nothing, the owner has decided they are financially responsible for any mishap that chocks would prevent. I have seen this too, out where we RV, but the next big earthquake and these rigs are gonna go somewhere, flat land or not. They are just being lazy and taking a risk. That doesn't make it right.

I've also learned that trying to explain anything when they aren't asking and you will get ignored most of the time. Only if they ask your opinion or you can show them evidence in their ways or you might be directly affected will you get them to change.

If you use chocks, I will be happy to camp anywhere near you. If you don't chock, I'll be happier to camp a lot further away.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote