View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 03:26 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I would think hosting photos would require a whole lot more disk space on the servers than we probably currently use. That, in turn, might significantly up the cost to run the forum. And, by the way, this forum is free, except for the person who owns and runs it. We are not required to pay anything. There is a donation button for those of us who like the forum and wish to help defray the costs, but we sure are not required to make a donation.

I guess what I'm saying is if the cost of keeping this forum free to its users is that we have to store our photos elsewhere, then let's keep it that way and keep this forum free of cost.

It's not all that difficult to do the pictures, anyhow. There is a bit of a learning curve but it's not difficult to master and once learned it's really pretty quick and simple. First, just open a free account at a photo storage site. I use www.photobucket.com . I have a link to that site right on my browser shortcut bar. When I want to post a picture here, I find it on my laptop, check the size. Start the free Irfanview to resize it (requires half a dozen or so clicks of the mouse), click the photobucket link to open my account there, click the photobucket Upload button, navigate to where my picture is. Since I store all these photos for photobucket in a single folder the Upload always opens in the right place... When it's done, tell it to save and take me to my album. There's my new picture, right on top. Click in the box next to "img link" or something like that. That copies the url. Then go to MOC and paste the url into my post or signature. It already has the img tags needed.

It's really pretty simple. Come to think of it, even if MOC had the storage capability I'd have to go through pretty much the same steps. And I'd have to pay for MOC to boot.

If you don't want to resize in advance, as I do with Irfanview, I think photobucket has an option for you to resize it right on their site.

I think there are many of us willing to help you through this learning curve. Just ask. Either post your questions here or click the envelope icon above one of our posts and email us. We'd be glad to help.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote