View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, they are not exactly "back roads." They are well paved and maintained. There are some traffic light stops, but the traffic is not near as bad as going through Downtown Houston on I-45, i-10, I-59.

FOLLOW UP to earlier post:

DW and I took a ride out to see what "The Grand Parkway" (Highway 99) was like, since it is new. First, we saw a sign when traveling it that stated "Tolls in effect beginning Nov 1." Well, they just don't have any toll booths up so it's a free ride at the present. Don't know if it is a money crunch thing, or what the hold-up is. However:

Highway 99 can be picked up off of I-10, 1 mile West of the Highway 3180 exit. I mention highway 3180 because if one does not want to pay the $4.00 toll when it becomes effective, 3180 can be taken to Fisher Rd (now Fisher Road is a back road) over to 99.

Back to "The Grand Parkway." (Highway 99) This is a 4 lane highway for 80 to 90 percent of the 14 mile ride to Highway 146 Bus. Then 146 bus is 2 miles to 146s. Highway 146s is 4 lanes all the way to I-45. Remember that the traveler originally asked about the Boliver Ferry. Highway 146 is an alternative to the Boliver ferry, and personally I would prefer to travel it then go down from Winnie and take the ferry. So once a person is on Hwy-99 they make 3 turns and they are on their way down the "Blue Water Highway." Those are not "back roads." Yes, there are some traffic lights, but they are really not all that bad. It gives one time to stop and smell the flowers, and it is a lot less stressful than freeway driving through Houston. I live in the area, so Houston traffic does not mean to much to me. I just don't like to get into the traffic jams caused by accidents or a disablement.

For anyone driving in Texas that does not know it, if you are on a highway that has double lanes or more in each direction, if you see an emergency vehicle with its lights on, you are required to do one of two things. Move over if it is safe to do so, and maintain speed. Or, if you cannot move over, slow down to 20 mph under the posted speed limit. So for Houston at 65 mph, you would be requried to slow down to 45 mph, and accordingly for any other speed limit.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote