View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 04:35 AM   #14
Krusher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11244
Well, the installation is complete and was really not too bad at all. The truck wiring took about 4 hours and the Monty about 5 hours. Would really advise that you have a helper to help with fishing the coax cable through the Monty.

First the truck:
Location for the truck end of the Quick Disconnect was passanger side of rear bumper license plate mounting area, opposite of factory trailer connection. Ran the wiring along drivers side of bed, following vehicles wiring harness/fuel lines. Once to the cab area of the truck, ran video feeds (three, one for each camera) through the body via factor holes/plugs used during the factory "dip" process when applying anti-corrosion process to the cab. I reused the plugs, with appropriate sized holes drilled to faciliate the video cables, to reseal the hole, and applied a sealant. Found positive and negative power connections via an unused factor accessory plug ( I believe for power pedals), under the dash, drivers side. The mutiplexer used in connecting the video cables, power, and monitor was mounter behind the driver compartment kick panel. Worked out really well, as the mutiplexer was small (approx 5x4x1), and you would never know it's there. Monitor came with a fixed mounting bracket, but ordered a suction cup mount (Ram Mount) so I can remove the monitor when not towing.

Now the Monty:

Trailer end of the Quick Connect located above front cargo door. The system from Rear View Safety comes with two 33 foot video cables for the side camera, and a 66 foot cable for the rear camera. I chose this area for the trailer connection for ease in wiring the side camera and neatly collecting the exess wiring, and a good simple acces point to the under carriage to run the rear video cable. This is where you need a helping hand. I used an electrical snake to run the rear cable along the drivers side frame rails, above the protective under belly covering. Once to the rear of the Monty, removing the tail lights and upper marker lights allowed pretty easy access to snake the video feed inside the rear cap and over to the center marker light. Again, two person job. Once at the center marker light, I drilled a 5/8 hole about 3 inches below the light to feed the video wire to the rear camera. Grommets are included in the system.
Side cameras were the easiest install, gaining access to the LP storage areas on both sides and feeding the video cables into the center storage area. When I ordered the three camera system, I asked them to provide the side cameras that were flush mounted, and have "pointing" adjustment so I could angle the camera out or in, depending on the view I wanted. These side camera normally come with their Quad Monitor System, but gave them to me with my system order, NO ADDITION CHARGE.

A quick note about camera mounting. I used some 3M double sided tape, the same that is used by body shops in attaching side moulding, and also used stainless wood screws instead of the scews supplied with the system.

The color monitor with the CCD cameras give a great view back and side. Very pleaed with the purchse and install. Send me a note if you need more detail.

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m...onty%20Camera/

Krusher is offline   Reply With Quote