View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #20
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JimF

What most folks failed to add is the statute in the Texas Drivers Handbook that applies to RV's. If you have an RV (for personal use) you are exempt from the weight laws in Texas: See the following Cut and Paste of the Texas Drivers Handbook. FYI, I contacted the DPS in Austin Texas about this, their view is if the rig is an RV you are exempt, regardless of weight.

Exemptions: Persons operating the following vehicles are exempt from a
Commercial Driver License (CDL):
1. A vehicle that is:
a. controlled and operated by a farmer;
b. used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to or from a farm;
c. not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier; and
d. used within 150 miles of the person’s farm.
2. A fire-fighting or emergency vehicle necessary to the preservation of life or property or the execution of emergency governmental functions, whether operated by an employee of a political subdivision or by a volunteer fire fighter;
3. A military vehicle or a commercial motor vehicle when operated for military purposes by military personnel, members of the Reserves and National Guard on active duty, including personnel on full-time National Guard duty, personnel on part-time training, and National Guard military technicians;
4. A recreational vehicle that is driven for personal use;
5. A vehicle that is owned, leased, or controlled by an air carrier, as defined, etc.....

That is my FYI and I don't worry about it anymore.
Jim,

You are quoting the handbook and not the Transportation Code. The same thing I was originally doing. As long as you are under 26k# the Class C is good but once your gross exceeds 26k# you need to upgrade your license. If you ever find yourself standing in front a Judge you will need to be following the Transportation Code and not the Handbook. The handbook is based on the Transportation Code and the TC is the law not the handbook.

Keep in mind Class B, Class B-CDL, Class A, Class A-CDL are each different licenses. Most assume that anything other than a Class C is a commercial license, that is not the case.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote