View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
ahhh, finally something I may have good input for:
I got a service call from the office manager at the local community center at a lake around here. I do all the HVAC Electrical and refrigeration work at the lakes' community center.
She awoke in the middle of the night with all her (hardwired) smoke-fire detectors, called the fire department and her daughter across the lake.
The crowd showed up, no fire, no smoke, so they un-hooked the offending detector.
I have been to this 'Goat Roping' before..
Combustion detectors, or smoke detectors, have different chambers to sample air for alert conditions, to make a long story short, if dust or a spide or some small insect gets in there, it will alarm.
Hers was above her bed, ceiling fan there also. The ceiling fan circulated the air around the detector, and into it; 500 times as much as it would normally.
I blew out the detector with a compressed air can (computer keyboard cleaner) dust flew out of it. I cleaned all the rest, nothing visible came out.
The offending detector will flash or hold red, the rest will stay green (in this brand) That is how you know which one has faulted. Because all will sound off.
So... Clean your detectors and you should not false alarm. Even the Propane detectors.
Life cycle is around 6 years, if you have detectors older than that, get new ones.
So there you go.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote