View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ChuckD

John Kohl, In answer to your question, what is it I am trying to gain is.... Thinking the outside temp could be well below the freezing point for several hundred miles we were concerned about can goods, heating up the inside when we arrived to our overnite, I just thought maybe keeping it as low as possible, but above freezing. I am thinking the chill factor may well be below zero for the first part of the trip. Not really sure if its a good idea or not, so I ask for your input... Thank You
Chuck,
Thanks for answering. Ref the Chill factor, for non-living beings there is not chill factor. Just the temperature outside. The wind might find places to creep in but no chill factor.

Now the physics of heating the trailer. If you depart in the morning and the trailer is 60 degrees (not sure how long you will travel that day but for discussion lets say 6 hours) then I am guessing it will take a couple hours to get down to 45. I do not have any study to document my guess. If you stop for lunch and turn on the heater during the stop it will bring up the temperature again. Then about an hour before you arrive you can turn on the heater or turn it on as soon as you pull into the RV park for the night.

If I was doing it I would look into a remote thermometer and monitor it from the truck. That would help give you a reference on the temp inside.

It will be interesting to see what you find out and how it works out.
Safe travels.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote