Thread: Propane tanks
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
What gauges do you use?

I use inline gauges at both my tanks and as a part-timer I always fill my tanks prior to a trip.

The size of these gauges forced me to buy a longer hose on one side to accomodate the extra length but I did get them to fit just fine. The irony of these gauges is that for the larger propane tanks like what is used in our Montys the indicator shows green for quite a while. Then when you start seeing the indicators showing yellow/red, it will be empty very soon especially if running the furnace. When that happens sometimes I just switchover to the other tank instead of waiting for it to empty. I can usually wait up to 2 days before a refill but I don't like to wait longer than that just in case the weather drops unexpectedly. This has happened to me twice. The worst was mid September at Grand Teton NP when the weather went from 95 degrees, then two days later it was 39 during the day (20 degrees at night)! No exaggeration!

BTW - I hope Clemson1881, like me, are in the majority. This way one tank is always a reserve until it becomes live and this gives you some time to fill the other tank back up and then it becomes the reserve.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote