Thread: CB Radios
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I know of three channels which are commonly used - 19 (for truckers) 9 (for emergencies) and a channel that RVers use, but I can't remember the channel (15, or 16 or 17).

CBs are good for caravanning with two or more. The range will be enough to cover from the first to last vehicle. The advantage is that you can communicate with more than one at a time and usually doesn't have the cellphone connection and point-to-point limitations. If you are connected to your TV's power then you don't have power outages either.

There were a few forum topics a few months ago discussing the needs of CBs a few months ago. I recall it was agreed that MOCers with CBs would monitor CH19 and when greeting each other on the road (flashing headlights) could use CH19 to make initial voice contact, then optionally pick another CH for more privacy. Unfortunately, if going in opposite directions that doesn't leave a whole lot of time for a long conversation before you're out of range.

FMRS radios do almost as well and you typically buy these in pairs, to loan to the other rig. The problem with these is they can go through batteries if you are with folks who like to chatter a lot, unless you have external power sources. The range doesn't seem to be as good when caravanning through hills and you get separated.

DW and I have all of the above, cellphones, FMRS radios and a CB. My only regret is the CB is physically too large where it fits under the dash. We're happy having all the choices. Other MOC members are better off because they also have wireless internet devices or active laptops when traveling.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote