Thread: Tires
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #32
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I'm glad Delaine and Lindy had good luck with the tires on their Cambridge. We have the same trailer and have experienced 4 blowouts since we have owned it. The first was due to leaking cast aluminum rims. The next two were tire failures and did real serious damage both tho the under side of the coach as well as the outside panels. That happened at about 15000 miles. I replaced all tires with new Goodyear "G" rated tires. This year, after about 10,000 additional miles we lost the tread on one tire. My plan is to replace all tires again before we leave next spring. As far as I know, Goodyear is still the only option for this application other than various Chinese brands.

I feel the root of this whole problem is that the trailer designs are just marginal. If you take the combined tire ratings and subtract that from the gross weight rating of the trailer, you end up with the pin weight. That says there is NO safety margin at all. I would have been more than happy to have a third axle to get some margin and save all the stupid tire failures. BTW, it is not just keystone that designs this way. But, speaking as an engineer with more than 30 years of experience, whoever does it IMHO borders on incompetent.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote