Thread: Tires
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 03:07 AM   #23
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Haven't posted in some time, but just had to put our comment and experience here on this subject.

We also have a new 2008 Big Sky which we ordered and purchased in December 2007, while in FL.

Unfortunately this unit also had inferior tires. When we started home this year in May, we had not one, but two blow outs. Our first blow out the tire totally shredded, the second one split all the way around in the middle of the tread. Both were on the drivers side which has three of the four slides. We also had trouble finding replacements and found one for the first blowout after several hours of calling around. For the second blowout we could not find an ST and ended up purchasing two LTs to put on the unit so we would at least have matching tires on one axle (this was done on the advice of our son-in-law, who was in the tire business for many years). So now we had purchased three tires for two blow outs.

When we finally got home we had son-in-law check the tires and we also discovered they were Carlisle tires. We decided it was time to put safty first..these tires only had about 5000 miles on them.

I got on the MOC forum to see what tires others were using and we made a decision on the Goodyear G614s. We went to the closest Camping World (in Winchester, VA) and had them order four new tires and a few weeks later they were installed. When we leave for FL in early October, we hope we will at least be riding on safe tires!

In doing our research we had a hard time finding tires that were listed to support the proper weight. We do not know what caused out blow outs, but I was following the unit in my car when they occurred and I can assure you there was nothing in the road. We also check tire pressure regularly and knew the tires were properly inflated.

So it appears Keystone needs to do some extra research on tire quality. I do not believe the tires they are using are the proper ones for the weight of out units. In defense of the RV industry though, I believe it was Camping World that told us all RV manufacturers are required to use ST tires. I must say this is our third Montana and the first one on which we have had tire problems.

As Tom just said it is hard to believe we have had to buy seven new tires for a unit that is less than two years old!

Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote