View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #45
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hello all,

I realize this poll is now locked (can no longer vote) but it's fun reading all the comments from many of you. I believe a better description of a Full-Timer would be "Life-Timer" because I have only run into ONE person that was not happy with their decision. The word Life to me depicts a chosen decision to LIVE in your rig which is vastly different that someone who lives in a trailer because they have no other choice in order to survive.

Honestly, I hear some of the members joke of being trailer trash, but with the investments in their rigs and their efforts to keep them working and the toys and conveniences they buy for them, is not the mentality of a trailer trash resident who is unable to accomplish this. But I think we all know what is meant.

We have a stick house and we are retired. But we use our Monty often; more than a vacationer; way more than a weekender; but we have not spent more than about 12 days in it so I don't consider ourselves long-timers. We go out about every 1-2 months as an average. I thought we could call ourselves Part-timers but that's not quite descriptive enough. How about Any-Timer, meaning we go out when we feel like it for up to two weeks, more often than a vacationer, but not as long as a long-timer? Our friends or family with rigs come up with a camping date and we'll add days in front and in back and we meet them wherever they go. Or we get away from the stickhouse just because it's been a while and I want to USE our Monty, not watch it sit in our driveway.

We live in Southern California and we've towed lotsa places around where we live (California, Nevada, Arizona, that's about it) and mostly within a long day's drive away. However, we have driven (no trailer) or Amtrak'd to all but 10 states of these United States and tented, cabined, Amtrak'd or motel/hoteled it, because we choose not to fly. That means we've been to 40 states!

My hope is that one of these days we'll tow where it will be several days drive away, then we will have the experience of boondocking or overnighting at Walmart or someplace else using all the equipment I have invested in. I am now well prepared for travel especially hearing from fellow members who had the same concerns and solutions that I had and have given me the knowledge and confidence that we can travel and overcome "bad" events and get around new ones.

Thanks for all your help!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote