View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 12:29 AM   #8
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Everyone,

I believe that what Carol was trying to explain is that, on a lot of the aftermarket air bag pin boxes, the king-pin is pointed down to the ground at a slightly backward angle. That is because, of the air pressure inside the air bag pushing down on the flexible plate, which extense it. It then gives the appearance that the king-pin is pointing back toward the landing legs when coach is unhooked and leveled. It is the nature of the beast.

For example, our coach is equipped with the TrailAir pin box. Because of the amount of air pressure in that air bag, which could be anywhere from 60 to 80 psi, depending on how heavy I have it loaded, when I unhook from the hitch, I have to actually raise the the pin box to relieve some of the weight on the hitch so that when the jaws are open, I can pull the truck out from under so the coach won't follow along. Once the king pin slips past the 5th wheel plate, it has the tendency to move downward toward the floor of the bed of the truck.

Once I have the king pin past the open tail gate, I then lower the front of the coach to level it.

The orange plate that Carol shows is a lub plate that is permanetly rivited to the plate of the 5th wheel hitch. That way it don't move, come loose or get lost. I have the same orange plate on my hitch.

But, would you believe I also have the white disk lub plate stuck to the king pin? Yupper! Talk about slipping under and hooking up quickly and quietly!!!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote