Thread: Directv
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 10:36 AM   #17
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by abonzer

I think there might be some confusion on these receivers, converters, recorders……

Correct that the converter box does not need to call in. The programming is sent in a separate packet set sent to the converter box from the satellite. This would also apply to a DVR or Tivo box with the satellite signal converter box built in.

What I was referring to is the Tivo recording units that do not include a receiver built in, series 1 & 2. These recorders will work with any service, cable, Dish, or DirecTV. A separate fee, paid to Tivo, allows you to receive programming to your Tivo box. These recorders are just that, a recorder. They do not include a tuner for signals. Programming these sets is not over the air. This can be done via a phone line, or in the case of series 2, a LAN connection. Via the LAN, you can also remotely program your Tivo from anywhere with an internet connection or even your mobile phone.

So it all depends on what type of Tivo box we are speaking of.

DirecTV continues to use Tivo’s technology through a license agreement. The two companies split for a while, but after the Dish lawsuit, that Tivo won, they partnered once again. DirecTV began broadcasting in late 1994. I love Tivo, why??? It's where I worked fro six years.
I am miss understanding something here!
The only time I had a separate box was about 15 years ago before I went to the TiVo DVR. From that time on I never had any other box but the Tivo or Directv's DVR and that's been at least 12 years.
I originally had the large class C dish 10 ft. in diameter.
Once again,No phone line,that's how I can use my Old Tivo in the trailer.
Series 1 and 2 must be ancient or at least 12 years.
All of the above is just my personal experience,it doesn't mean ever thing works that way.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote