View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 04:15 AM   #23
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rondo, I hope you're assistant was wrong on the motion. I was told that I should have full range and no pain. BUT, I know the are people who have not faired that well. I will have a positive attitude and Faith and that's the best weapon against anything going wrong.

It is time for the surgery, though. Wasn't going to, but I will share with you what I related to a MOCer through a PM. I don't want to look as though I am bragging. This is just a good story for my grandkids. Don't know if I even told any of my kids this story...

I originally dislocated that left shoulder during my college football years (1970-1975). During a game my sophmore year I caught a pass and broke two tackles to score a touchdown. I was sandwiched by two linebackers at the 5 yd line, which dislocated the shoulder. Never felt the pain (adrenaline) until I ran into the endzone. Then I collapsed. It did pop right back in, but unbelievable pain.

That was right before the half. I played the entire second half on Darvon with my left arm taped to my side. Don't remember much except I remember how I marveled at how, when I took a hit, the pain was there momentarily, but by the time I got back to the huddle, it was totally gone. I remember feeling like I was walking on a cloud.

We won that game 7-0 for the conference championship.

I have been living with pain in that shoulder for years. Actually about 20 yrs ago I had cortisone injections in it.

The pain finally culminated in rotator cuff surgery in Oct of 2005. Would have been sooner, but I was going through those 3 failed right shoulder surgeries 6/2004, 10/2004 and 5/2005, so I had to wait.

When the doc did finally go in to the left shoulder, he repaired the partially torn rotator cuff and removed a few bone spurs, but he was not happy with what he saw in there. That was when he mentioned that I would be looking eventually at a shoulder replacement.

After the Oct 2005 surgery, I started taking glucosamine and their was a gradual improvement and some lessoning of the pain. However, I started working the turnstiles at Epcot last Nov and, while I tried to limit movement of that arm as much as possible, the pain gradually began to increase.

I was scheduled for an ortho appointment May 20 (2 days ago) since last Feb, so I waited until I was back from FL.

The pain is constant and I am looking forward to the surgery to alleviate this aggravation.

The pain has been everyday now for the past 6 months or so. On a scale of 1-10, it has ranged up to a 10. I have a high pain threshold (no brain - no pain???) but it is not getting any better and my ortho doc recommened immediate surgery. He's the Detroit Red Wings early camp team doctor.

They now have what is called a reverse shoulder replacement - the ball and socket are reversed. Not sure if I am a candidate for this or not.

Still waiting to hear from the shoulder surgeon.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote