View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hi GALS,
I basically do it this way, with one exception.

Hitching/Unhitching 5th Wheel

Here is my exception.
I constructed one of those little 1 to 1 1/2 inch levels with magnetic tape stuck to the back. You can use a pair of scissors, or a razor to trim it to size after sticking it.

Here is how I use it.

You must "unhitch" one time.
After you have followed all the steps to unhitch, and before you level the trailer from front to back, put the little magnetic level on the side of the 5er King Pin. Put it on the service center side so you can see it. Remember, that you want to place it so that if you walk straight up to the king pin from the side you will be staring at the bubble. Now, turn that magnetic level back and forth until the bubble is centered.

Lever the trailer buy what ever other means you hav used before and ignore that little magnetic level.

When you get ready to hitch and have followed all of the procedures for tailgate, etc., lower the trailer until that little magnetic level bubble is in the middle. You are now DARN close to being where you were when you unhitched.

I always back the TV until it is just a few inches away, get out and check alignment, and make any necessary adjustments. You will find that your TV will sit up a little higher after you have unhitched for a while. This is the stress from the leafs and springs on the truck returning to "normal" after having 2000+ pounds bouncing around on them. That is why it may be necessary to make a small adjustment and my statement of being DARN close.

Hope this helps.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote