View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
This is one of Doug's favorites:

(I am sorry, I cook by "eye" most of the time so measurements/amounts are SWAG'd.)

Cubed Steak with Tomatoes and Onions

Cubed Steak or Cubed Chicken Breast (2 or 4)
Flour seasoned with garlic powder and fresh (or coarse) ground pepper for dredging the meat. I've found if I put the flour and seasonsings in a bag (e.g. plastic...I frequently snag a couple of extra produce/meat bags from the grocery store for this use) that I can use much less flour to cover the meat...purpose is to seal the juices in when cooking.
Onion(s) thinly sliced
Stewed Tomatoes (number of cans are dependent on amount of meat/size of pan...goal is to cover the bottom of the pan used.
Worchestershire Sauce
Olive/Vegetable Oil

Dredge meat in flour mixture. In hot electric skillet or frying pan drizzle oil and "swish" (this is a very technical cooking term) the oil to cover the bottom of the pan. (I just pick it up and tip it around until the service is lightly coated.) Place the meat in the hot pan. Turn when the the juices start to seep on the top side. Once both sides are sealed/browned, remove from pan. Saute the sliced onion in the pan using the moisture from the onions to loosen the browned "crumbs" from the bottom of the pan. Once the onions are soft, add the stewed tomatoes (I usually wind up using one large or two regular size cans of stewed tomatoes at a minimum.) to the pan. Add a half to one teaspoon of Worchestershire sauce to pan and stir well to incorporate with onions and stewed tomatoes. Place browned meat on top of mixture cover and simmer on low for approx 20 - 30 minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes and green vegetable (we usually have green beans) or salad.

From start to table is 45 minutes maximum.
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote