View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 05:42 AM   #18
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
For Outside cooking, which we do alot of, I use a Butane stove that can be used directly on the tablecloth without fear of heat melting the tablecloth. It can be used indoors, as that is what the original design was for. It heats water and cooks at a higher heat, thereby reducing the amount of time needed, and run very efficiently on the butane bottles, which look like a hairspray bottle. Easy to get out at any rest stop for a hot meal.
We also use a portable gas grill, the cheap less than $30 ones you find at wally world or such. This will last for three or four seasons, and is small and easy to store. it uses the 1 pound propane.
And I always pack my cast iron, two dutch ovens and a skillet. Recipes for potatoes and onions on the campfire, apple dump cake and cowboy drop biscuits and many others. I use the skillet in the mornings over the butane outside stove to cook bacon, or will fry fish or chicken to keep the mess and smell down in the kitchen. We seem to do most of our living outside and alot of sitting and observing of others lives from underneath the awning. The dog loves to watch the kids, so we sit out all the time, or take her to the nearest stream and field so she can swim and run.
The butane stove we have used for 13 years, and bought it a the local hardward. I have seen them at the home stores, marketed as a fondue stove or something to that effect, but they look more like a hot plate. Lights first time and easily controllable. Will heat up oil to fry fish faster than my father in laws road trip grill.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote