View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 03:59 AM   #19
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Grant, the valve stems on my truck and on my trailer are brass with a molded on rubber grommet where they go through the wheel. These are snap-in high pressure valves rated to 100 psi cold. They are very dependable, and I am completely at ease useing them. The clamp-in high performance valves are the ones with the replaceable rubber grommets, a washer and nut to hold it all together, and are rated for 130 psi cold. These are probably the best, but I have seen them leak too, nuts work loose, rubber grommets crack,.....etc. The high pressure snap-in valve stems on my trailer, came on it, and I have had no problems. I took it on a short trip for Thanksgiving and it has been parked ever since. I checked the tire pressure yesterday, and found 2 with 80 psi, 1 with 73, and 1 with 70, satisfies me.

I still agree with Glenn on the bad stems being the exception not the rule, but I can also see the other side of the "coin", as I'm sure Glenn can too. Obviously, there is a problem with some of the stems being used on these wheels, and Keystone needs to be made aware of the problem. I'm sure they buy these stems in bulk, and probably from the lowest bidder. Being made aware of a problem may cause them to re-evaluate the supplier, I know it would me. JMO.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote