View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #23
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Well TRC finally finished the analysis of the burnt up surge guard and it was assembled correctly and all the connections were tight so the fault was not a failure on the part of their device. We discussed the pin arcing on the neutral prong. I shared that the physical layout of the power post precluded full insertion of thier device due to the flat face of the unit and the overall vertical length/height (6-7 inches). They were interested in my suggestion to change from a flat face to once where the electronics portion starts 1/4-1/2 inch recessed from the plug portion so the plug can be inserted flush into the socket and the body of the electronics clear the sheet metal around the post itself (heck - this is not too clear. send me and email and I will send you the picture I drew for them and save ourselves 1000 words. rearick@cox.net). It is possible that kids transiting through our campsite from the loop behind us to the bath house kicked/tripped on the cord and jostled it enough to partially pull the surge guard out of the socket - enough to cause arching to the nuetral pole anyway.

Anyway, they are shipping me out a 34750 at wholesale price (currently $225 and available to any previous TRC customers upgrading to a more capable unit). I also wanted to purchase the lock they sell for it but Jerry Powell at TRC threw the lock in for free and didn't charge me anything for shipping or handling. I am very pleased. I will be happy when the new protection device gets here and all the new parts arrive from Keystone and are installed in my unit.

So bottom line, even though their equipment was not faulty and was not designed to protect from an open nuetral situation, TRC went above expectations to upgrade me to the appropriate level of protection and ease the cost of doing so to keep me as one of their customers.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote