Thread: Jack it up!
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 03:40 AM   #10
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I am going to back up Lonnie. I am a professional mechanic as well. The best place to jack up a tire high enough to be changed is directly under the spring pad on the axle. Lifting it there will continue to distribute weight as the springs and axles are designed to do. This way there is no undue stress on the frame and no need for a stack of blocks. Never and I mean never jack from the middle of the axle to pick up whole axle. As for jack, a 8 to 12 ton short jack, my preferrence is the 12. This gives me a safety margin. One more BIG item. I stress BIG, BIG,BIG!!! So many people get hurt or killed by not potecting vehicle or trailer from ROLLING. They get under vehicle, and vehicle rolls and slipps off jack. Always set parking brake unless replaceing brakes then block wheels not being worked on. Trailers are easy, put down front jacks and stabilizers "after" wheel is jacked up. And do not forget the torque wrench, I believe more tires come off from being over tightened than under tightened. Over tightening stretches studs and weakens them allowing them to break.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote