Old 01-03-2007, 05:15 AM   #26
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cat320

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ARJ

I have spoken with quite a few folks both at dealers and at my local freightliner dealer about frequency of oil changes. The consensus is 3k miles even if using synthetic (this applied to 18 wheelers too from what I understood). The reason I get is because of the crap in the oil rather than the oil breaking down. I suppose one could change only the filter and extend the change cycle. However, the price of oil vs the price of an engine is enough to convince me to stick with my 3k interval.
I sure would like to know who is advising you to change the oil at 3k intervals...especially using synthetic. When I was doing the research before buying my truck, I visited four Chevy dealers and one GM dealer...they all said to go by the DIC. The only ones I have heard preaching the 3k philosophy are guys operating quickie oil change shops. If 18 wheelers were to follow this schedule, the would be changing oil once a week. Plus filling an 18 wheeler with oil would be a very costly experience. Just MHO, but I think you are getting bad advice...3k oil changes went out with adjusting the carburetor.
I guess we first need to compare apples to apples. My Duramax supplement specifies 5k miles oci for short trips, and 7.5k for long trips. It does not specify towing requirements.

Second, I always have my oil changed at a GM or Chevy dealer. Cost? I supply my own oil (Delo 400 $6/gal) and filter (Baldwin B1441 $4.66). The times I have had it changed range from a high of $13.00 to $11.95 for labor w/no bitching about me having my own oil/filter. I can also get the truck washed if I ask and one dealer in MT (Tyler Chevy) washed it without my even asking. It is well worth the insignificant cost to have the work done at a dealer because they check the rest of the truck at the same time and I don't have to run to Checker to dump the old oil. I usually run between 3k and 4.5k on changes.

Every one of the dealers (from ME to CA) I have used in 68k miles has put a sticker in the windshield indicating that the next change is supposed to be 3 thousand miles from the one I just had done.

BTW, I change my own fuel filter between 12 & 15k mi (Baldwin $18.18) and my own tranny filter ( Baldwin 9.42)& fluid.

And that's all I have to say about that!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote