View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 03:01 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have not yet read all the replies but will just give my opinion.

1. I think 3.73 is the standard axle. It is what I have. I suspect your question is whether to get the limited slip. I'd recommend yes. If you have 4x4 it may come with it anyhow. If not, trying to start uphill from a traffic light in the rain may find you spinning a wheel. Limited slip is worthwhile. The 4.30 axle would give you even more grunt. I'm not sure the impact on mileage.

2. Skid plates. Not necessary unless you plan to do some offroading. It's part of the Off Road package. Mine has them.

3. Stabilizer package. Main purpose is for snow plowing, to handle the extra weight up front. Makes for a pretty harsh ride up front. I'd pass on that. The F350 comes with a rear stabilizer bar standard (doublecheck that but it did in '03).

4. Heavy duty or dual alternators. Always a good choice but I wouldn't turn down the truck if it didn't have it. I'm not sure if mine has this. Would have to check the invoice. I know I don't have duals.

5. Shift on the fly. Definitely I'd get this. Mine has it. Quick and easy into and out of 4x4 when you need it. Don't have to stop and shift. Just turn the knob.

6. Reverse vehicle aid sensor. Not necessary but I've grown to like it on mine. Keeps me from backing into someone or something. Can drive me nuts when backing the Montana while hitched as it senses something back there. There's an off/on switch on the dash but I ignore that figuring I'd forget to turn it back on. This thing works even when covered with ice and snow and has never given a false reading for any reason, including ice and snow. The sensor warning lets me back farther, closer to the car behind, without worrying about hitting it. The closer you get, the more frequent the beeps. When it goes to a solid tone, you have ten inches left.

7. Heavier springs. The F350 comes with all you need. Remember you also will drive solo. The F350 has a nice ride but add springs and that will deterioriate. I've had a lot of people comment on the nice ride of my Ford.

8. The power take off provision is switches to operate other equipment off the power take off, like snow plows and other equipment. The switches are next to the brake controller and the driver side glove box.

9. Make sure you have the tow package and the towing mirrors!
And Tow Command for the smoothest brake controller you've ever experienced.

Now I'll go read the other replies.

Now I'll add a comment or two. As for the 6.0, I love mine. Absolutely awesome towing engine. There were birthing pains for the first year or so but they're ironed out. Duramax and Cummins had similar early woes, including buy back of a bunch, but I think Ford had more early problems. My '05 has 63,000 on it and is still awesome. And still has never used a drop of oil, never been below the full mark, even at oil change at 7500 miles (synthetic) of 5000 (dino oil). I would not hesitate to buy another.

My F250 does not have the rear sway bar and I've never had problems towing in wind. The F350 comes standard with the sway bar.

Fordzilla, you mean if I lock out the reverse sensor it will automatically turn on again when I come out of reverse? I never used the button, figuring I'd forget to turn it back on. I'll give that a try.

My personal opinion is any of the current model trucks will do you fine. Despite the Ford bashing, they're still number one in sales, which says a lot. And I'm still very happy with mine at 63,000 miles and climbing. But any of the major brands will do a good job for you.

I'm known around here as a Ford lover but that's because they've treated me so well. But truck prices are so high these days that if I ever trade I'll drive them all, eliminate those I don't like, and take the one that gives me the best deal. Who knows, that could even be a Chevy.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote