View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 08:33 AM   #5
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
When we decided to buy a fifth-wheel, (2003,) and even before we settled on a brand, I saw a 2002 F-350 CC Lariat dually in Budget Auto Sales in Fairbanks, Alaska. It had only 24,000 miles on it, and was spotless. Because it didn’t come from a Ford dealer, I got no education in diesel, or the truck, in general. So I was thinking at the time that the DRW would mean heavier towing capacity and traction. I figured the 4WD was absolutely necessary…Well, in Fairbanks, it sure is, just to get started on the slick winter roads. And it helped getting out of some spots I was able to get us into, even in my own gravel driveway.

What I wasn’t aware of, (though it seems you know,) was that DRW and 4WD adds to the weight of the vehicle, and takes away from the possible weight of your fifth-wheel. And DRW takes away traction, compared to a SRW TV.

I’ve learned a lot, since then. Never “enough,” of course. But more.

If you buy a used vehicle, (it sure would be nice to know who drove it, but that’s hardly ever possible,) do look into getting one that’s still under warranty, and buy an extended warranty. That’s what we had with the 2002, even though we sold it before ever using the extended warranty. But the tranny troubles our overweight conditions, and my lack of diesel knowledge brought about, were covered by Ford.

If you settle on a Ford, get at least a 2005. They’ve been beefed up that year, and they have the Tow/Haul transmission feature that you will simply love.

I’ve been told that DRW aren’t needed. Still, I have a gnawing feeling in the back of my head that if one tire blows on the rear of the truck, I’m going to have problems. (Tires hardly ever blow in conditions where you can simply let off the accelerator and pull safely over to the side of the road, in MY head!) And I’ve been told that SRW TVs won’t suffer from the breezes speeding 18-wheelers create while passing. I can’t say if there’s a difference. I’ve only had a DRW TV. But I just know I don’t feel those breezes. Only the splashing of road water up onto my windshield as they pass in the rain. And that can make it FEEL as though you’re having a white-knuckle moment, even if you aren’t. I just keep an eye on the centerline to make sure I’m not going to either side. And so far, I’ve stayed right where I was as they pass.

I wonder what will happen to my 6.0, (the 2002 was a 7.3,) when the new EPA specs hit the streets. If the government tells me I must replace the truck, I’ll be in the crowd, right along with millions of others, in a Class Action lawsuit that might last longer than this old carcass will. But I wouldn’t worry too much about buying a new engine. A manufacturer isn’t likely to sell a downright lemon. It’s not financially astute to do that. But be prepared for the old timers to try to make you feel you’ve been taken for a ride. There are still the 7.3 people pointing fingers at every single incident reported by a 6.0 owner, trying to make them feel better in their bias. And I suspect there will be 6.0 people pointing at the next new engine people, claiming they’ve been had, as well. I haven’t had a single engine problem. Still, I am now running on my Ford ESP, warranty, just in case.

I’m only discussing my experiences with Fords, because that’s all the knowledge I have. It’s not to discredit other brands. But you seem to be concerned with issues that concern me. I just feel good with my choice.

I hope that by the time you purchase, you will feel good, as well. You’re leagues ahead of me, though. I did no real research about the TV before buying it.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote