Thread: Slide toppers
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 10:36 AM   #12
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Our 2004 3380 didn’t have them. And I had to climb up to see whether any debris was on any slide, before breaking camp.

This 3475 came with them. (I would have ordered them, had the dealer not insisted on having them on all the rigs he sells.) Yes. They do collect water, and get dirty from the pooling water that remains days after the rain. (Large traces of dust, dirt, and pollen are left.) You can be “baptized” when you leave the Monty, as the water dumps above the doorway. And they could, I suppose, unwind, and furl while driving along. But all in all, I wouldn’t be without them. All I have to do is wash them off, (top and bottom,) with a long-handled brush occasionally, and I never have to grab a ladder and broom to wipe of junk from the slide before we leave camp.

There is probably a way to add more tension to the spring. Like you can with the main awnings. Though I don’t know either process at all. But adding tension could do what some have said, and precipitate a tear.

I’m deaf enough to where I have to wait for Kim to tell me when the main awning needs to be put up in a windy storm. I have, a little bit, heard the flapping over the slides during said storms. So has Kim, of course. But so far, there’s been no damage, and I have yet to worry about a pinecone or tree branches getting stuck between the trailer and the slide when they’re coming in.

Over the past 18 months, even with all the winter and spring storms southern Alabama’s thrown at us, I have yet to stuff a beach ball under the main slide. But the idea is a good one that gets the lone hassle taken care of with little cost or effort. We might just do it if we hang around a wet zone for any length of time, again.

Steve

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote