View Single Post
Old 05-23-2006, 02:09 AM   #12
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I did a little roof repair on our previous TT and just as I was finishing up it started to mist a little. A couple of hours later I went out to check to see if the caulk job was ruined. I have a surplus metal aircraft step stand to work from. I went out with my tennis shoes on, climbed the wet steps, leaned on the wet metal railing with one hand and reached out with the other to test the wet metal roof. I got quite a jolt! I got on the Usenet groups (before all these nice forums existed) and determined it must be a ground problem. Upon investigation, I found the 100' extension cord I was using was one I used to use for hedge trimmers. It had been cut in half and repaired several times + the ground pin had been cut off a long time ago to fit in an old non-grounded, 2 prong recepticle + the wide prong had been ground down to fit the old receptical (disregarding polarity). That puppy went right in the trash and I bought new heavy duty ones. Shock treatment seems to make me remember my mistakes - never again will I make that one! Sometimes reminiscing about these things just makes be glad to be ALIVE !!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote