View Single Post
Old 04-02-2024, 11:57 AM   #5
thedinobots
Established Member

M.O.C. #33672
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
In addition to a voltmeter, you might consider getting a clamp amp meter. You don’t need to spend a lot for a high dollar meter either. You can clamp the amp meter around a wire to measure the current traveling thru that wire without disconnecting the wire. Then you could tell if that A/C is drawing more current than the breaker is rated for. I am guessing the breaker is rated for 20 amps.

Even though a new trailer, it could simply be a bad breaker. I once had an A/C breaker trip something like that. If it was really hot outside the breaker might trip in any where from 5-10 minutes up to 30 minutes or more. But in the evening when cooler it might not trip at all. I replaced the breaker and it never tripped again. Breakers are inexpensive and easy to replace.

Another possibility is that the wire connection to that breaker may be loose or poorly connected. A poor wire connection causes heat and the breakers trip on heat. Poor wire connections are a frequent problem in these trailers.
It actually has 15 amp breakers for both ACs, which seem a little under-rated. I will see about ordering one and try swapping it, seems like an easy thing to try.

I will order a clamp amp meter and voltmeter to test the current as well - I knew I would need them eventually!