View Single Post
Old 02-25-2024, 07:13 AM   #14
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I was born and raised in Central Indiana and been around tornado threat country all my life. I'm 68 years old, soon to be 69.

The firs tornado I saw was when I was a kid, maybe 8 or 9 years old. Looked to the North of my parents property and a tornado was high in the sky, not on the ground. It was impressive.

There were several tornado that came by my parents house over the years. I remember laying in bed one night when one passed near by. It sounded like a freight train rumbling down the tracks. It was close, but no one seemed concerned. I actually was in bed at night. Never got up.

And there were more.

Camping, we experienced 2 tornados. One in Ohio another in Indiana. The first, we were in a pop-up camper. We just stayed in the pop-up. The tornado passed about a half mile away. No one panicked at the campground, in fact it was kind of a gala party that night.

Several years later a tornado passed through, much closer. Everyone ran to the concrete block bath houses. We grabbed our dog and cat and ran also. The wind was blowing so hard, find sand particles hitting our skin felt like bullet shots. It stung, really bad.

We made it to the restrooms where everyone was gathered. People were out of their mind in fear. I'd never seen a bunch of psyched out people together in all my life.

My wife and I were thinking .... eh! this is no big deal. At most, the trailer get's blown away. We're insured! It's an opportunity to purchase a new camper! That's not so bad!

We started joking with each other, teasing, and getting "fresh" and "romantic" .... right there with everyone freeking-out-of-their-minds. That's people were nuts!

Well, before it was all over, we had them all singing Kumbaya and they realized there really was nothing to be fearful over.

Tornados are a fact of nature. Even if one gets close, the experience is just as exciting as doing a roller coaster at an amusement park. It's a ride you'll be talking about for the rest of your life!

If you are in a tornado alley zone, there is really nothing you can do to escape it, except pack your bags and leave. They start out as "Tornado Watches." That means, the weather conditions are such that a tornado is possible. Usually, these "conditions" extend several hundreds of miles. Where does one go to get out of that?

Once a tornado is actually spotted, it becomes a "Tornado warning". And then the local news will have a projected path the tornado is taking. If you (or me) are in that path, you really don't have much time to pack your bags and get! You find secure shelter.

I'll not go into what you need to do to protect yourself in the event of an actual tornado. The internet is full of "what to do" articles. Read them. You can't escape the path. Time is just too short.

The best you can do is just go about your normal business, but be prepared to run to adequate shelter when those skies turn, the wind pick up like you've never seen it before, and the freight train sound starts roaring. Forget the camper! It's insured. Don't honker down in it. Get to the tornado shelter. If that tornado is truly in your direct path, you'll know! Then is the time to run to that shelter and FORGET the camper!

As with any wind, IF the wind gets too excessive and you do not feel safe inside the camper, then get out! Seek shelter else ware. You cannot do anything to save the camper anyway if it's a direct hit!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote