View Single Post
Old 01-21-2024, 07:53 AM   #22
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I live about 45 miles from Indianapolis. The route from Indianapolis to North Carolina is a good route. Your route will take you down US 35 from Dayton, Ohio to Teays, West Virginia and hit I-64 South.

Take that route, it's good. However, you will have 3 toll stations on I-77, $5.50 for tow vehicle and trailer for each one (cash only--- no credit cards, they do have a transponder system too). But the route is good, no issues at all.

Coming through Charleston, WV is a little squirley, but not bad. Try to avoid it during the rush hours.

Coming through Dayton, Ohio on the interstate is a bet trying also. But if you follow a GPS that shows the upcoming exits and such, you'll do just fine.

I-70 at Richmond, Indiana (Right before you cross over into Ohio) is awful though. You'll hit a stretch of about 15 miles before you exit the state that is horribly bumpy. The rest of I-70 across Indiana isn't too bad.

After you get out of Indiana, the roads will be good all the way through to your destination in NC.

For what it's worth, we travel this route (US 35 thorugh Ohio) at least twice a year going to North Carolina.

It's just, if you take the Indianapolis route, you'll have to drive through Illinois.

Two things you need to be keenly aware of if driving through Illinois.

First, if you a weapon, Illinois is not Second Amendment friendly at all. Keep the weapon in your camper when you travel through that state.

Second, absolutely, absolutely do not speed coming through that state. I think the speed limit for vehicles towing a trailer is 60 mph. It's long, it's boring, it's slow. But that is better than getting stopped and ticketed .... and it will happen if you speed. And if you are "carrying" you REALLY don't want to be stopped.

When we absolutely MUST drive through Illinois, we NEVER speed, and I never stop anywhere for any reason. I just drive through and don't look back. I make sure I am fueled up before hitting that state and I drive through. I also will drive South and then around Illinois, just to avoid it, going 200 miles out of my way before driving through. And of course, even though Illinois has some really nice state parks, we never visit there.

Your Southern route (I-40 through Tennessee) is a good alternative. You avoid Illinois completely and I-40 is a great route. Once you get past Knoxville, Tennesse, I-40 becomes quite interesting. Of course, once you cross the NC state line, you are in the Pishga National Forest area, and the curves on the interstate become interesting. Absolutely, absolutely, absolutely do not speed once you cross the NC state line until you hit Asheville, NC. There is no threat of speeding tickets, it's just the curves on those roads are THAT hairy! Semi trucks will blow you by. Let them go. Having a wreck is not worth it. Do not go faster than the posted speed limit, maybe even slower, and you'll navigate those curves and hills just fine! There are sections that are a bit hairy. You don't need to be slamming on your brakes to keep the vehicle under control. It sounds worse than it really is, IF you go faster than the posted speed limit. You will also go through 2 tunnels. Stay in your lane, and it's OK to slow down a bit going through them.

Well, those are my tips once you reach either Indiana or Tennessee, depending on the route you take.

Personally, I'd take the southern route, just to miss Illinois. I despise Illinois that much!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote