View Single Post
Old 01-15-2024, 12:30 AM   #5
mdmarmd
Established Member

M.O.C. #20369
Dometic or Thedford Toilet?

MandK,

I am pretty sure water is leaking from this fitting as the position of the moist spot on the slide out tray carpet is right below the drain. I recall feeling moisture around the threads. I guess it could be coming through the hole in the floor, but then it would have to track down the outside of that fitting and then into where the thread are. If I can isolate the leaking just to the threads, does it make sense to just try and tighten the pipe and see if the leaking stops? Or is it safer to actually remove the toilet to be certain moisture is not getting into the flooring?

I am reminded that I might have another reason to remove the toilet. I wanted to ask you whether you have a Dometic or Thedford toilet?

Last summer the water in my toilet was not holding in the bowl. It would just leak through the toilet ball seal. I kept trying to pull out the seal to replace it as I had done previously and couldn't pull it out. It finally dawned on me that when I replaced it before it was in the Holiday Rambler Presidential that I had before. So, doing some research I realized that the previous toilet must have been a Dometic and the current one is a Thetford. How much easier it is to change this seal on the Dometic. The Thedford requires removing the whole toilet just to change this seal. So, I was going to order the replacement parts last summer, but after pouring CLR and vineger into the bowel multiple times, it seemed to disolve the crusting on the surface of the seal enough to stop the leaking. So, if the ball seal is leaking again, I guess it will give me another reason to open things up anyway.
mdmarmd is offline   Reply With Quote