View Single Post
Old 01-08-2024, 08:45 PM   #19
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by miket49 View Post
How big of a job is it to replace the black tank value seal ?? not counting taking down the bottom
It's actually not that difficult a job.
Putting the coroplast back up was a pain.

Ok. I used a 1/4" socket on a drill in reverse and pried down under the fender washers with a pry bar. The nails come right out.
Once the coroplast and reflectex insulation (R3, lame) is removed everything is right there in front of you.
I previously drained, flushed and winterized the rig so I knew the tank was dry.
The valve itself has 4 bolts mounting it to the pipe. Remove them and the valve comes out. BTW it's a Bristol valve. Most people replace it with a Valterra valve. I decided to try replacing the valve seal first.
Once the valve is out the seal come off easily. Put the new seals in and lubricate them and the blade with silicon grease. Reassemble the valve. Do whatever improvements you plan. I added insulation. I wanted to also add Mopeka tank sensors, but that will be next time.
I also added grease points to the valves and sprayed silicon Lubricant in the hole.
Valve lubrication making lube holes for silicon grease

Inspect EVERYTHING!!! I found the black tank flush fitting loose. I tightened it up at least 1 full turn.
I ran a pull string from the battery compartment to behind the convenience center. I'm planning on pulling a 4 gauge wire from the batteries to the MPPT in the basement to upgrade the MPPT to a 150/70.
When putting the coroplast back up I used leveling blocks and Telescoping poles I use for the Satellite dish and the WeBoost antenna. The poles and blocks help hold up the coroplast while you are getting the new screws in.
Use 1" #12 self tapping bolts through the nail holes. Push hard. If you don't use the existing nail holes push harder. They will drill through.
1st picture the old seal. You can see it was all wrinkled up where the blade crushed it. This tank valve leaked from the first day we owned the rig.
2nd picture the valves looking aft.
3rd picture the bolts to put the coroplast back up.
I added extra bolts and fender washers along the front and back edge for extra support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing black tank valve seal.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	16262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing tank supports pipes electrical wiring .jpg
Views:	15
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	16263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blowout repair parts coroplast bottom.jpg
Views:	19