Thread: 5th Wheel hitch
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2023, 08:45 PM   #1
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
5th Wheel hitch

Newbee here

I bought a '04 Dodge Ram Cummins 2500 about a year and a half ago. It came with a 5th wheel hitch in the back. There are 4 pins that can remove it from the bed. It's weighs quite a bit and is awkward to carry. I would guess 75-100 lb. Truck runs and looks good except where I've hit it with my pallet forks. Probably not relevant.

In March I bought a '01 Montana 34' long. I pulled it with the truck about 75 miles from Toledo - relatively flat - using the fifth wheel hitch.

Didn't notice any problems with pulling other than fuel mileage dropped quite a bit at 75mph vs 55 mph (7 vs 11)

However, when I got back, unhooked, etc. I noticed the fifth wheel hitch receiver plate looked like it might not be perfectly flat anymore. I believe it was before I started but wouldn't swear to it.

I was trying to get the info off the hitch to find out more about if it's rated for what I'm pulling, but the label/plate was spray painted over and can't seem to get it off even with acetone.

My intent with the fifth wheel is finish remodeling in the next couple months, drive 350 miles to southern KY and park it until I get my cabin built.

So, I guess what i'm getting at is are all hitches for fifth wheels made the same and I'm good or are there big differences and I'm lucky to be alive? If the latter, what do I do next?
brycesteiner is offline   Reply With Quote