View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Helen, we tend to avoid KOA's like the plague. We found most of them overpriced for what you get, crowded in the sense of packing you in tight, noisy because so many of those renting rv's and those out to party associate "campground" with "KOA" and that's where they go.

There have been a few (very few) exceptions.

We planned a month's stay in a KOA in Cannonville, UT. We chose the KOA because it is the ONLY park with wifi AND a reasonably monthly rate within easy distance of Bryce Canyon NP. They do in fact have wifi. However, it is new and not working well at all. It is owner installed. He knows a little about it but really needs a good tech. Apparently there are none around. The signal dropped anywhere from every few seconds to every few minutes. Emails sometimes took hours to complete the send process. And some of those were 8k emails. We gave it up after 20 days, got a partial refund and moved to where we are now. This is not a KOA.

Now that I have expressed my thoughts about KOA, our next park (this coming weekend) is a KOA - Circus Circus KOA in Las Vegas.

I like state parks a lot but I liked them more when we were weekenders and vacationers. At that time our purpose for camping was to "get away from it all." As fulltimers, we live in this thing and we want and need the same amenities we'd have in a stick home. That means cable tv and wifi as well as full hookups. We will do without for a few days but not for long. Not like we did before fulltiming. But state parks are often beautiful and very hard to beat in that respect. We still use them occasionally.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote