View Single Post
Old 04-26-2023, 01:33 PM   #8
laprezgpoc
Established Member

M.O.C. #22763
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendodom View Post
We are trying to plan a trip from MS out West in the October timeframe and ultimately coming back via White Sands National Park, at Alamogordo, NM. Upon departing, most mapping systems, i.e. google, Rand McNally, etc. show departing traveling East on 82 through the Lincoln National Forest, ultimately to Abilene, Tx then I20 on home.

My question: Since I have never traveled that route, it definitely looks to be traveling through some curvy roads with a 17' tunnel at some point. I am pulling a 40' Montana fiver with a GMC 2500 Duramax.

To drop back down to El Paso and onward to I20E looks to be an extra 250 plus miles. Has anyone pulled the Hwy 82 route with a 40' trailer who has any advice to offer?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

If you are not in a time crunch - I would advise to head north of Alamogordo, to Valley of Fires National Monument for a couple of days. Then take Hwy 380 east over to Bottomless Lakes SP. You can make reservations for both. You can take 380 east to Texarkana and then south on I49 to I 20. We are heading that way pretty soon, but continuing east from Texarkana. This is a good way to travel, avoiding Dallas mess.
laprezgpoc is offline   Reply With Quote