View Single Post
Old 04-20-2023, 07:54 AM   #8
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
DIY with the hub bearings and brakes is the only way to know the task is done right and the condition of your races, bearings, brake shoes.. At age 69+ I still am able to DIY.. the 14 ply tires are a bit awkward but when I am ready to install I just sit flat on my butt and angle the tire inward and lift up to install on the top lug bolt..

Another often overlooked item when the hub is removed is the spring clip that holds the magnet wire out of the way to prevent damage..

I also use my 6 point hyd level up system to raise 1 side up at a time and do the bearings and grease the suspension..

Starting my 10th season on the original brakes, bearings and races.. All Dexter OEM... about 40K miles now on the fifth wheel

** Spec on brake shoe wear is (1/16th) of shoe lining is time to replace.. As you can see after 9 years I am now where near that on my fifth wheel

First image is what my inner and outer bearings (Dexter OEM) look like after all these years..

Second image is the condition of the brake assy.. Yellow arrows point to where one will often find a bit of "fretting" on the spindle and I use crocus cloth to dress up these areas on the spindle..

Just above the two yellow arrows you will see a small spring clip.. Make sure this is in place or you will find your magnet wires all mangled up sooner or later..

** have seen this clip missing on a lot of the later year RVs (2020-2022) .. Thats an assembly error on Dexter's part..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (440).png
Views:	33
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	14387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (439).png
Views:	45
Size:	644.2 KB
ID:	14388  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote