View Single Post
Old 12-10-2022, 07:41 AM   #3
OldJimi
Established Member

M.O.C. #31788
I have installed the Winegard Gateway 1000 in my Montana 3231CK and thus is what I did:

As you stated, the Gateway kit includes a switch to you can install to turn the unit on and off. Since the Gateway gets mounted on the ceiling, there is no convenient place to mount the switch where it's readily accessible unless you run long wires to put it on a wall somewhere. There is a video on Youtube showing hos to trim the plastic case of the Gateway to put the switch on the side, but, at least in the 3231CK, you would still have a requirement to get on a step stool to reach the ceiling.

After a little research, I found an inexpensive remote controlled 12V electrical switch.
Smart RF Relay Switch eMylo Wireless Remote Control Switch DC 12V RF Receiver 433Mhz Relay Module Home Automation with Two Transmitters One 1-Channel 1Pack
No soldering required for installation, comes with two double wire press to clamp connectors. simply connect your powwer wires to the input side of the swith and the output wires to input side of the Winegard, stuff the switch into the hole where the other wires come out and you're done. The two remote are identical, an "A" button to turn on and a "B" button to turn off. It's RF so line of site not required.

I've had mine installed for over a mnoth now without trouble. The Gateway seems to work better if I turn it off when I won't be using it in a while and some times, after heavy use, I have to do a power reset to let it reestablish contact with the cell provider or the camp WiFi.