View Single Post
Old 11-07-2022, 08:58 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
On my previous travel trailer (Outback), the shower drain leaked from day 1. We didn't realize it for some time though, as the water went into the underbelly of the camper and pooled there.

A few weeks later, water was finally dripping from under the trailer. I was able to find the spot. There was a small removable panel on the shower pan that allowed access under the shower. And sure enough, it was leaking under the shower pan. The drain was not secured tight.

I had room I could tighten it. But it wouldn't tighten. The threads were stripped (cross threaded). That left no alternative but to return it for warranty work.

They replaced the plumbing, had to remove the shower to do it right, and it worked OK for a short while again. Then It started leaking again .... same spot. This time, however, it truly was just loose and I was able to get a gigantic pair of channel lock pliers on the joint and tighten it down. After that, we never had problem again.

In our current house, we had a bad leak from our (plastic) shower pan. Fortunate, the shower was situated on a concrete slab, but the frame for the shower was built up about 8 inches, making the shower a step-up, but this allowed room for a p-trap to be installed.

I finally got tired of the leak, and ended up rebuilding the entire shower with concrete, all the layers of concrete, wire, and rubber liners. Yes, it was work.

When I got the old shower pan out, I could see how really bad a break it had in the bottom that really couldn't be detected from the top side. It was sitting on a cheesy frame that allowed too much flex on the bottom, and it simply cracked. The previous owner was a real moron. He did a lot of hide and coverup with his marvelous .... (pathetic) carpentry skills. And this was one of his better builds!

Meanwhile ... it's possible your shower pan could be cracked. It's possible the pipe under the shower pan could be loose. Or it's possible a section of pipe, where a joint is, could be loose.

The only way to really determine where the problem is, is to get under the shower and open things up. If you have a hypo valve, instead of a P-trap, and it's clogged up for some reason, then you'd have water back-up in your shower pan. If the joints are sealed, you would not have leaking. You'd have back-up, not leaking inside the cargo bay.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote