View Single Post
Old 10-10-2022, 08:53 AM   #6
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjdwithca View Post
First off, thanks for taking the time and giving me an in-depth answer, much appreciated!

So what about fuel economy and getting your rig in and out of the site; do you think that's about the same as well?

Thanks again!
I see that Bill took the approach of size of rig in different campgrounds. He's right. The smaller the rig, the easier it can be to find a site. We've experienced that a little, especially in some older State Parks. So how and where you you like to camp is part of your decision.

For us, we've never had a problem finding camping sites in any area we want to visit. Most campgrounds have websites that allow you to select by size of trailer or choose your own site with visibility of it's length. Many of our Oregon State Parks have a lot of smaller sites, but will also have larger sites so we've always managed. Getting in and out of sites is really more about each specific site, as well as your own skill level. Some are tighter than others and you just need to be prepared for that since you can't always know that until you get there.

For us, and how we like to camp, our 35' 5er gives us the room we want, easy towability, and decent access to many camp sites. We aren't boondockers. We enjoy State and County parks, as well as many private parks. We've always found sites and managed to navigate them. I've got a lot of years towing and backing so I don't worry about getting in and out of sites. That's something you'll need to judge for yourself for your own experience and ability. Even if you're new at it, there are ways to learn such as large empty parking lots and working with someone who's good at it.

As for mileage, with your truck I would expect you to average 11-12mpg towing...regardless of size.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote