View Single Post
Old 10-10-2022, 07:29 AM   #1
wwjdwithca

M.O.C. #31793
Towing Full Pro Vs. Mid Pro

Hello! First time posting here.

I have never owned or even pulled a 5th wheel, and I've been having a very hard time finding information on this subject, so I decided I would just go ask the question myself to the forum for the 5th wheel that I believe to be the gold standard; so you guys must be the gold standard in knowledge

So my question is as follows; How much difference does it really make going from a 8,600 lb mid profile to a 12,500 lb full profile on the performance, handling, MPG, and getting into and out of state and national parks?

Almost all the info I find out there is regarding a half ton truck. Everyone has a half ton and they wanna know if tow "XXX" 5th wheel. Well, my TV is 2022 Duramax Crew Cab, 4WD Silverado 3500 SRW. Which I believe can handle a 35 ft Montana, but my wife thinks we should try to stay as small as possible to aid in maneuverability, gas mileage, and getting into camp sites. And I don't disagree with her, but those smaller Mid Pro's like a Cougar 27SGS or a Jayco 27RL have much more cramped bedroom levels, and I just don't think they are built as well.

So how much difference does it really make? Do any of you have an experience towing both? We've talked about renting one of each, but dang is it expensive to rent a 5th wheel for a two week trip. Plus we really don't want to learn how to use a 5th wheel on a trip of that magnitude...but what can we learn from going out for a weekend? Anyway, I digress...I think you understand where I'm coming from.

Thanks much!!
wwjdwithca is offline   Reply With Quote