View Single Post
Old 07-12-2021, 02:34 PM   #1
Reeves

M.O.C. #28840
Disk brakes and tires at home

Afternoon folks,

Have a disk brake kit from Performance Trailer Braking sitting in the garage and a new set of Sailun s637's on the way. Gathering necessary items to do the install and need a bit of advice. Planning to remove tires and have them mounted/balanced (hub centered balance) at local shop, and do brake install at same time. I am still working out the best way to lift and stabilize the rig during the job.

It's a 2019 385BR with ELECTRIC 6 point leveling system (Ground control 3.0).
Had the unit at the house on an un-level site with 2 wheels off the ground for 3 weeks and the system did not seem to struggle at all to achieve level. Now on a much more level site.

We live in the lower FL Keys, and cannot get an installer here before after the new year, and do not have a local shop who can do the install. In the habit of doing for myself.

Have to figure out a solution for roadside flats anyway, and looking at several options.

1: Use the electric 6-point system to lift whole rig, with jack stands under frame after lifting for redundancy. Haven't tried it, can't find evidence of anyone who has (wouldn't bat an eye if it was hydraulic).

2: Use (2) 12-ton or 20-ton (wider) bottle jacks to lift frame on one side, with jack stands under frame. Possibly run leveling jacks down on same side for redundancy. This seems like it would necessitate blocks UNDER the jacks for the reach needed.

3: Use Trailer-Aid ramp to lift one tire at a time. Rig connected to truck. All other tires chocked. Unsure if the trailer-aid gives enough lift; rig has stock suspension with a blue "road armour' equalizer if that helps.

That's where I am, and reaching out to those who may have dealt with this already. I know from my research that many who have the hydraulic system would and can lift their rig and many who would not. I have the electric system and do not have much experience with it, however what I have seen says consider the possibility. Is there another option I am not considering outside of renting a crane?
Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote