View Single Post
Old 02-11-2021, 09:00 AM   #8
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
A person can use old oil in an engine and hope that a good filter will make it all good. Much like poor electrical power, both will work but what is being damaged in the process? Certain tools and equipment run fine on contractor style generators because of how they operate. Finer electronics not so. It gets technical but researching the concept of pure sine wave power will explain it better than I can. Be aware some cheaper brand generators make their product sound like pure sine when in fact they are not.
Well, isn't that just nifty - old oil and filters. Sounds like a lot of gobldegoop to me. So the only way to know if a generator is putting out pure sine wave is to have the know how and equipment to measure it. That's mostly above my pay grade. Most of the time we get what we pay for but not always. While I was searching for a generator, I saw the Honda recall on the model where the inverter shorted and caught fire.

So whatever I do is a gamble when it gets to 11 degrees, branches fall, kill power and I'm forced to hide in my 5r running it on external power. Either a 6,000 watt Champion (old, non inverter general purpose) here in my garage right now, or something I go get today at Sam's, HD, Lowes, etc, that has that inverter name in the description. Still not sure how much watts to bring home to run reefer, converter (lights, furnace) and maybe TV and possibly the microwave. Could do without that microwave since we have the gas stove and oven to cook with.