View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 04:15 PM   #37
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Ryan Andersen story

Thank you Lynwood for providing the requested information. With your help, I was able to find some information about the incident after. Mr. Andersen was fined $1000 and also paid a nearly $900 restitution fee. Looks like he got off easy as the fine could have reached $100,000. Here is the letter submitted by Mr. Ryan as part of his plea agreement:

August 23, 2018
Dear Friends and Concerned Citizens,
I want you all to know that I have reached an agreement with the government to account for my actions last spring at the Corona Arch in southern Utah. With that agreement I have accepted responsibility for my conduct and have agreed to pay a fine and full restitution to address the damage caused to the arch.
Although I have resolved my case with the government, I will remain committed to helping ensure that our public lands remain pristine. In the future, I hope that others can learn from my mistakes and always act responsibly with our natural treasures.
Sincerely,
Ryan Andersen

One correction to the head line is the location of the offense: From Lisa Bryant, spokeswoman of the Canyon Country District of the Bureau of Land Management, "While the Corona Arch has widely been described either as within a national monument or a national park on social media, it is in fact on Bureau of Land Management land."

Mr.Andersen's apology seems sincere and remorseful, but I for one, am too old to become part of the trending "cancel culture" that has become too common on social media. I say, let each decide their own reaction to this incident and it's outcome, but let's avoid a call for a national boycott of Andersen Industries (if that's what it is called). BTW Lynwood, if in the unlikely event that any of your firearms customers should by chance become disenfranchised by you, I'll happily accept their returns. I'm kidding of course! I for one applaud the many efforts you put forth on this forum to help others!!!! Happy travels! JMAC
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote